Thinking of Volunteering with KHSC?
Who we are
Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC) is Southeastern Ontario’s largest acute-care academic hospital. Consisting of our Hotel Dieu Hospital site and Kingston General Hospital site, as well as the Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario and two research institutes, we care for more than 500,000 patients and families from across our region. As one of Kingston’s largest employers, we are home to nearly 5,000 staff, more than 2,000 health-care learners and 1,000 volunteers who are committed to partnering with patients and families to ensure we continually provide high quality, compassionate care. Fully affiliated with Queen’s University we are ranked as one of Canada’s top research hospitals.
Volunteers at Kingston Health Sciences Centre contribute 90,000 hours a year in 80 programs, services, departments and units and help raise close to three-quarters-of-a-million dollars annually toward the purchase of equipment and patient comfort items. Our volunteer team includes high school, post-secondary, and grad students, adults, and therapy dogs and we offer opportunities to suit a variety of interests, skill levels and schedules.
Characteristics/Skills of an ideal KHSC volunteer
- Be WILLING TO ASSIST in whatever capacity you can and are comfortable to work within your position guide.
- Be OPEN TO LEARNING – we are never too old to learn new things.
- Be a GOOD COMMUNICATOR – and remember, the best form of communication is a SMILE.
- Keep it REAL – show RESPECT for patients, families, staff, volunteers; treat everyone EQUALLY – whatever their position or situation; be ACCOUNTABLE for your own actions; show LEADERSHIP in every way you can.
- Demonstrate CUSTOMER SERVICE skills – be cheerful, helpful, tolerant, kind.
- Be ORGANIZED
- Be WILLING TO TAKE DIRECTION.
- Respect CONFIDENTIALITY – what happens in the hospital stays in the hospital
- Show your ENTHUSIASM for whatever task you are doing – remember, it may seem menial to you but it means a lot to someone else.
- Be DEPENDABLE – if you say you are going to do something or be somewhere, remember that others are relying on you to follow through.
- Be PATIENT – sometimes our patients & families are stressed and they need a calming presence
Contact Us Volunteer Services KHSC – HDH site and KGH site
76 Stuart Street, Kingston Ontario K7L 2V7 613-548-2359 (then select option 1)
The Application Process
1. Submit an Application Form (paper or online through our web site)
2. Submit 2 References (paper or online through our web site)
3. Attend an Information Session & Interview (learn more about the opportunities and process to get involved)
4. Submit a Police Records Check with the vulnerable sector search
5. Submit a Medical Clearance form (available on our web site)
6. Complete Hospital Orientation
7. Receive confirmation of your placement & training plan